The Liver or Yakrit is a vital organ for "chayapachaya" (metabolism) of consumed food. "Yakrit", the seat of Pitta dosha (made of fire and water) hosts the five "bhutagnis" or the digestive fires of the body. Hence, when the liver (pitta dosha) is imbalanced, problems related to digestion, metabolism, skin inflammation and blood diseases may arise.
The "Yakrit" converts "Rasa Dhatu" (clear plasma) to "Rakta Dhatu" (blood tissue), identifying ama (toxins) in the "Rasa Dhatu" and store them so they don't enter the blood.
However, when toxins do accumulate in the liver, it can give rise to diseases related to the liver. One of the most common ones being, fatty liver disease.
Fatty liver disease is of two kinds.
● Alcoholic fatty liver disease or alcoholic steatohepatitis (due to over-consumption of alcohol)
● Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (due to the disruption of fat metabolism in the body)
What is fatty liver?
Fatty liver disease or steatosis is the buildup of excess fat from the food we eat (more than 5 - 10% of the liver’s weight) in the liver cells. Fatty liver is dangerous only when the excess fat leads to inflammation of the liver (steatohepatitis).
Causes of fatty liver disease.
Ayurvedic Remedies of fatty liver
The Ayurveda remedy for fatty liver involves some simple steps:
● Limit or avoid alcoholic beverages
● Reduce the intake of sugars and saturated fats
● Exercise daily
● Take a balanced diet - with more fibre
● Avoid deep-fried food
● Increase physical activity
● The use of ayurvedic herbs
Having said all of the above, usually the allopathic treatment for liver problems has many side effects. This is where ayurvedic medicines come in handy. Butterfly Ayurveda has developed LIVOFLY that helps in balancing these side effects and maintains good liver health.