COVID-19 is one of the deadliest and infectious diseases to have emerged in the recent past. The different medical systems across the world are trying to help fight the virus and prevent its spread. The ancient systems of medicines, particularly Ayurveda, with its proven, tested, and preventative approach has come up with curative solutions which build and strengthen immunity and offer holistic wellness. These solutions are further backed by modern science.
We are well aware that the conventional system of medicine, also known as the Allopathic system of medicine, is about 200 years old. However, it is quite evident that before that, health-related problems were adequately managed by the indigenous system of medicine, i.e. Ayurveda in the country. Ayurveda has proven to be quite effective in not only maintaining and promoting good health but also in treating ailments and taking control of the diseased condition. One of the most common examples with regard to the current pandemic is the plague that spread in India around 100 years ago. Even though the effects of the plague were disastrous, they were managed properly and efficiently by the Ayurveda system. It is an open secret that in the current pandemic condition the exhaustive use of synthetic drugs, i.e. chemical drugs & steroids cause many side effects and adverse effects during the recovery phase which are difficult to manage. At the same time, the role played by the Ayurveda System cannot be overlooked. A lot of herbal medicines have proved their worth scientifically during the COVID-19 pandemic without any serious side effects.
AYURVEDIC PERSPECTIVE ON COVID - 19:
We are aware that ‘disease’ is a state of imbalance of doshas and dhatus within the body. It has been observed that the onset of the Covid-19 wave usually takes place in "Vasant Ritu" (the Spring season), during which the kapha dosha is naturally vitiated (prakupit). Moreover, other factors such as irregular and poor eating habits and lifestyle along with prior presence of an illness in the body further create room for infectious diseases such as COVID, to grow and disturb the equilibrium of Tridosha balance. This further affects the mansik doshas ( Sattva, Rajas and Tamas) resulting in challenging conditions of health in both mansik (mental) & sharirik (physical) ways.
It has also been observed that the symptoms of COVID-19 are more or less similar to ‘Sam Sannipataj Jwar’ and ‘Vata Sleshmik Jwar’ (Ch. Chi.-3). Some of the most common symptoms to be found are fever, tiredness, dry cough, headache, diarrhoea, sore throat, nasal congestion, & breathing problems. Treatment of these has been prescribed in Ayurveda.Therefore, we can say that if we maintain a balance in our tridoshic body constitution and take care of the health of dhatus, it will enable us to strengthen our body’s defence mechanism, and we could manage the disease effectively.
THE DEVELOPMENT OF CORONAFLY AND HOW IT WORKS :
The R & D team at BA has worked diligently to come up with the formulation of CORONAFLY ( soon to be COVIFLY) which has shown to be effective in treating multiple symptoms of covid and also in bringing relief to the patients suffering from mild to moderate cases of Covid-19.
Coronafly is an Ayurvedic proprietary medicine that helps in combating Covid-19 disease. It is a polyherbal combination that helps in balancing the tridoshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) within the body and its ingredients are widely used for treating fever, cough, sore throat, headache, weakness, body pain, etc. The therapeutic activities of all the ingredients are proven by scientific studies.
The tridosha effect
Some of the ingredients of our formulation are Tridoshahara (Balancing all three doshas) in nature like Triphala, Guduchi, Aparajita & Haldi, while other ingredients like Ashwagandha, Dalchini, Tulsi, Ginger & Pippali are Kapha-vatahara in nature.
Phytochemical Constituents of CORONAFLY Ingredients:
The phytochemicals (bio-active compounds) present in the herbs of Coronafly have potent broad spectrum antiviral action against the majority of viruses. For example:
1. SARS-related coronavirus
2. H5N1 influenza A virus,
3. HCV - Hepatitis C virus
5. Influenza A virus
7. Respiratory syncytial virus
8. SARS-CoV-2 virus (Covid-19 Virus).
Phytochemicals present in the Coronafly formulation help fight the SARS-CoV-2 infection in the following manner:
1. Inhibition of spike proteins of SARS-CoV-2: Spike proteins of SARS-CoV-2 bind to the human Angiotensin-converting enzyme-2 (ACE-2) for entry into the host cell, especially in the lungs. Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi, Mulethi, Vasa & Pippali inhibit virus entry into host cells by inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.
2. Inhibition of human Angiotensin-converting enzyme-2 (ACE-2): Inhibition of ACE2 results in inhibition or slowing down of virus entry into the host cells.
Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi & Mulethi inhibit/ slow down virus entry into host cells by inhibiting the Human ACE2 Enzyme.
3. Inhibition of Human Furin Protein: Furin activates fusion proteins of SARS CoV-2 virus that enhances the attachment of Spike protein of virus with ACE2 receptors of human host cells. It is also important for virus multiplication. Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi inhibits Human furin protein.
4. SARS-CoV-2 Mpro or 3Clpro Main Protease: SARS-CoV-2 Mpro is one of the major enzymes responsible for virus multiplication. Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi, Mulethi, Kalmegh, Vasa, Haldi, Ginger, & Pippali inhibit this enzyme, suppressing/preventing virus multiplication.
5. Inhibition of Non-Structural Proteins (NSPs- NSP3, NSPti, NSP15 inhibition) and Nucleocapsid Proteins: These NSPs are necessary for virus Multiplication. Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi, Mulethi, Kalmegh inhibits Non-structural proteins
6. Nucleocapsid Protein Inhibition: NP is an envelope of the virus that promotes (helps newly produced virus get its envelope, and increase) multiplication of the virus. Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi, Mulethi, Kalmegh inhibits nucleocapsid proteins.
7. Inhibition of Inflammatory action (Anti-inflammatory action): SARS-CoV-2 infects epithelial cells that carry ACE2, present in the air sacs (alveoli) in the lower lungs. In response to viral entry, multiplication, and host cell damage, lung epithelial cells secrete inflammatory mediators (various types of Cytokines) to initiate and exacerbate host innate inflammatory responses. The damaged epithelium leads to the accumulation of fluid that is rich in proteins, inflammatory mediators, and Pneumonia. It leads to constriction of the airway that could cause breathing problems. The spread of the virus from the lung to the systemic circulation and excessive production of the pro-inflammatory mediator can damage various vital organs. This phenomenon is known as Cytokine storm where inflammatory mediators [Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), Phospholipase A2 (PLA2), NF-kB-inducing kinase, Interleukins, Cytokines, TNFα, chemokines etc.) are produced in large numbers. Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi, Mulethi, Kalmegh, Haldi, Pippali, Triphala, Ginger and Dalchini are highly potent anti inflammatories. While Aparajitha and Vasa are moderately potent anti inflammatories.
Given the above, we can see that Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulsi, Kalmegh, Mulethi, Vasa, Pippali & Ginger have a strong broad-spectrum direct antiviral action on the SARS-CoV-2 virus. All the phytochemical and bioactive compounds of the herbs have shown prominent antiviral action against the SARS-CoV-2 virus in insilico studies.
Note: WHO has also peer-reviewed all of the above research publications by giving them WHO COVID ID.
OTHER ACTIONS OF CORONAFLY INGREDIENTS:
Further more, there are other adjuvant actions of the other herbs in the formulation, listed below.
1. Immuno stimulating agent: Ashwagandha, Dalchini, Tulsi, Mulethi, Giloy
2. Bronchodilatory & Antitussive: Vasa, Pippali, Tulsi, Mulethi
3. Antipyretic, Analgesic: Giloy, Haldi, Kalmegh, Aparajita
4. Hepatoprotective: Kalmegh, Tulsi, Vasa, Giloy
5. Cardioprotective: Giloy, Triphala, Tulsi, Mulethi
Moreover, fear, worry, and stress are normally perceived responses, reactions and real threats of the pandemic throughout all phases from quarantine, isolation to post recovery of COVID-19. This has caused perpetual anxiety, nervousness, and depression, affecting the quality of sleep, and the quality of life amongst the masses.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), major depressive disorders (MDD) would account for the second major illness in the world by the year 2020. Also, several cases of this disease have been found to have higher cases of diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting, and the patients with these digestive complaints were later diagnosed with COVID-19 disease.
Coronafly Ayurvedic medicine for fever and weakness capsules take care of all such issues without any side effects. Ashwagandha is known to have a good effect on the neuroendocrine system, helps relieve stress, promotes rejuvenation, and more. Subsequently, Giloy, Tulsi, Mulethi and Aparajita help with the above-stated mental disorders and improve quality of life. And Triphala, Pippali, Ginger, Dalchini are quite effective for good digestive health. All these herbs, when combined, help regulate the dosha balance within the body.
WHEN IS CORONAFLY USEFUL?
At the onset of the virus, the viral load is quite low in the body. It is best to take CORONAFLY in this time period. In mild cases when the virus is present in the upper respiratory tract only, Coronafly capsules can help slow down or stop the entry of the viral genome inside the host lung cells, inhibit multiplication in host cells, and slow down/reduce inflammation.
Dosage : 2 Capsules once a day for 15 days or as per directed by the physician.
Moderate to severe cases:
In moderate to severe cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection, CORONAFLY may help reduce replication in host cells, and associate immunogenic responses, slowing down inflammation while controlling chances of disease progression. In such situations, CORONAFLY may help eliminate the possibility of multiple organ failure and prevent severe disease outcomes.
Dosage: 2 Capsules twice a day for 15 days or as per directed by the physician.
Coronafly has been found to be effective in mild to moderate cases of Covid-19. In severity of disease it is always advisable to take Coronafly under supervision of a registered Doctor.
SAFETY, TOXICITY INFORMATION OF CORONAFLY:
All the ingredients used in the formulation are safe and have been tested for quality. Each of them has individual therapeutic efficacy which is also reported in the ancient literature of Ayurveda and has now been backed by modern science. No adverse effect of this medicine has been reported as yet.
FEEDBACK FROM OUR CUSTOMERS:
"The product is awesome as I was suffering from cold and I am fine now. One of my friends was suffering from same so I gave some capsules to him also and he is also fine now."
- Raghunath N
"The product is taken for myself and my family. The cough and body ache was cured after taking it. I am completely satisfied with this ayurvedic product."
- Muneeb Mir
"Coronafly Capsules - I recovered from Covid and my RT PCR report was also negative. However, I still had some post-Covid symptoms such as mild fever, body ache, low stamina, and excessive sweating.I started taking two coronafly capsules every day (morning and evening), along with the recommended vitamins and it gave me tremendous relief from the post covid symptoms.
To see the exact effects of the capsule, I decided to skip a dose for a day and I was in pain throughout. The next day when I took the said capsule, I felt a lot better.
From that day onwards, I did not miss a single dose and continued taking Butterfly Ayurveda’s Coronafly for 12 days. And I am happy to tell you that I have recovered quickly and feel a lot better."
- R.K Mishra, A covid 19 recovered person
- Antitussives: The property of suppressing cough. Such medicines are also known as cough suppressants
- Bronchodilator: This is a herb that dilates the bronchi and bronchioles, decreasing resistance in the respiratory airway and increasing airflow to the lungs.
- Hepatoprotective: The ability to prevent damage to the liver.
- Cardioprotective: The ability to prevent myocardial damage.
- Analgesic: A substance that reduces pain
- Antipyretic: The ability to reduce fever.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs: A drug or substance that reduces inflammation (redness, swelling, and pain) in the body.
- Antioxidant: A substance that protects cells from the damage caused by free radicals (unstable molecules made by the process of oxidation during normal metabolism).
- Antiviral Drugs: They are used to treat viral infections. They work by killing off the virus or inhibiting its development (i.e multiplication/ reproduction) in host cells.
- Cyclooxygenase (COX): The enzymes that produce prostaglandins are called cyclooxygenase (COX). There are two types of COX enzymes, COX-1 and COX-2. Both enzymes produce prostaglandins that promote inflammation, pain, and fever; so the COX enzyme is one of the most important factors which promote inflammation in our body. Inhibition of COX can provide relief from the symptoms of inflammation and pain.
- Cytokines: They are small glycoproteins produced by various types of cells throughout the body. There are various types of cytokines like interleukins, Interferon, Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) etc. Inflammation is caused by many factors like prostaglandins, Leukotrienes, Cytokines etc. In SARS CoV-2 infection, there is very high inflammation which is mediated by Cytokines. It is called Cytokine storm and produces acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Inhibition of cytokines mediated inflammation can provide relief from the symptoms of inflammation, pain, fever and respiratory problems.
- ‘In Silico’ study: It means drug discovery and developmental experimentation performed by a computer or via computer simulation.
The state department of Ayush has requested us to change the name of this medicine from Coronafly to Covifly. It will be changed in the next batch.
Shree, Priya et al 2020. Targeting COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) main protease through active phytochemicals of ayurvedic medicinal plants - Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha), Tinospora cordifolia (Giloy) and Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi) - a molecular docking study.Journal Of Biomolecular Structure And Dynamics, 1-14, 2020 Aug 27.
Maurya D.K. et al, 2020. Evaluation of traditional ayurvedic Kadha for prevention and management of the novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) using in silico approach. Journal Of Biomolecular Structure And Dynamics,
Tariq Z.M. et al, 2021. Computational Determination of Potential Multiprotein Targeting Natural Compounds for Rational Drug Design Against SARS-COV-2. Molecules ; 26(3)2021 Jan 28.
Pan Luo et al, 2020. Pharmacological perspective: glycyrrhizin may be an efficacious therapeutic agent for COVID-19. Int J Antimicrob Agents ; 55(6): 105995, 2020 Jun.
Hejazi I I, et al,2021. Glossary of phytoconstituents: Can these be repurposed against SARS CoV-2? A quick in silico screening of various phytoconstituents from plant Glycyrrhiza glabra with SARS CoV-2 main protease.
Food Chem Toxicol ; 150: 112057, 2021 Apr.
Murck Harald et al, 2020. Symptomatic Protective Action of Glycyrrhizin (Licorice) in COVID-19 Infection?
Front Immunol ; 11: 1239, 2020.
Sa-ngiamsuntorn K. et al, 2021. Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Activity of Andrographis paniculata Extract and Its Major Component Andrographolide in Human Lung Epithelial Cells and Cytotoxicity Evaluation in Major Organ Cell Representatives.
J Nat Prod ; 84(4): 1261-1270, 2021 04 23.
Tzu-Hau Shi et al, 2020. Andrographolide and its fluorescent derivative inhibit the main proteases of 2019-nCoV and SARS-CoV through covalent linkage.
Biochem Biophys Res Commun ; 533(3): 467-473, 2020 Dec 10.
Enmozhi, S. K. et al, 2020 . Andrographolide as a potential inhibitor of SARS-CoV-2 main protease: an in silico approach.
J Biomol Struct Dyn ; : 1-7, 2020 May 05.
Swaminathan K. et al, 2021. SARS-CoV2 multiple target inhibitors from andrographis paniculata: An in-silico report
European Journal of Molecular and Clinical Medicine; 8(3):1653-1685, 2021.
Kalirajan R. Et al 2020. Activity of phytochemical constituents of Curcuma longa (turmeric) and Andrographis paniculata against coronavirus (COVID-19): an in silico approach.
Futur J Pharm Sci ; 6(1): 104, 2020.
Kiran G et al, 2020. In Silico computational screening of Kabasura Kudineer - Official Siddha Formulation and JACOM against SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.
J Ayurveda Integr Med ; 2020 May 25.
Kara P. Et al, 2020. Anisotine and amarogentin as promising inhibitory candidates against SARS-CoV-2 proteins: a computational investigation.
J Biomol Struct Dyn ; : 1-11, 2020 Dec 11.